Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Road Through Ephesus... Leading Ephesians 1:21

I am so very thankful for air conditioning. There is a definite reason I am from the north. I like warm, breezy, balmy days and nights with just a hint of a chill. It's probably the reason fall is my favorite season. I love sweaters ans sweatshirts and jeans... but alas, I digress. This is what happens when it's almost 100 degrees outside. I lose focus quickly :-) So before I continue on this rabbit trail why don't we jump in?

Ephesians 1:21

"Now he is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else-- not only in this world but also in the world to come."

I am so thankful that I know who's really in charge. With all the turmoil, the natural disasters and man-made ones, the sickness, and just plain evil in the world, I am so thankful that the human leaders we see around us are not the leaders that have the final authority. More and more I'm coming to realize that only God has any real power. And frankly, that's amazing. Only Christ has the power to heal, to forgive, to bring life. Only Christ and his power.

Does this mean that human leaders have no purpose? By no means! Leaders are needed. Perhaps even more so, Godly leaders are needed. For all the leaders in this life will answer to the ultimate leader, the ultimate authority, the ultimate power, Jesus Christ.

There's a bit of a leader in all of us. In highschool, I wouldn't have said that. I didn't believe that I was a leader. I didn't want to lead. And then something happened. I was put in situations where I had to lead. And I did. More and more, I'm starting to see myself as a leader. It's not easy. There are days I would rather give the job to someone else. But still, I've been called to lead. You've been called to lead. Maybe not in the same capacities as I have, but you are still called to lead. Whether you are leading a ministry, a family, a group of friends, or on the job, you are a leader. But guess what?!?! The pressure is off! Because you are still under someone else's leadership. You still have someone to answer to, someone to gain wisdom and guidance from, someone to turn to when you are completely overwhelmed by the leadership task set before you. You still have Jesus in authority of you, leading you. Wow.

And it's not only in this world that Jesus has the final ultimate authority, but also in the next. Wow. What a comfort! It's not up to you! You have the charge to follow Jesus, your leader, as you lead others. You have the charge to be the most like Jesus in your leading as you can be. And if you are ultimately letting Jesus lead you, then you will be the kind of leader he wants you to be.

Let's lead. Let's follow the ultimate leader: Jesus Christ.

No comments: