Wednesday, June 2, 2010

The Road Through Ephesus...Tidal Waves Ephesians 1:8

So, due to some computer difficulties yesterday and a headache, you all didn't get a post. Sorry about that. Unfortunately, I don't have control over when the computer decides to crash (yes, I am sure that it has a mind of its own. It only crashes when it knows I have something I need to do on it). But you really don't want to hear about my computer woes, so instead here is the verse for today.

Ephesians 1:8

"He has showered his kindness on us, along with all wisdom and understanding."

I love that word "showered". I don't know about you, but I love a good shower. I hate when the water pressure is low or the water used is soft water. I love a good strong pressure that will get the shampoo out of my hair in a reasonable amount of time. It's one of the few things I don't like about going on vacation. Everywhere we go, the water has very little pressure. Do you know how long it takes me to wash my hair in instances like that? (Not that this will in any way keep me from vacation.) That's what I think about when I see the word showered in this verse. It's not a little bit of water with very little pressure. No, it's a tidal wave of God's kindness, wisdom, and understanding washing over us. It's enough to knock us off our feet. Wow.

Now look at the second part of the verse "... along with all wisdom and understanding." Do you see it? God doesn't promise us a little bit of wisdom and understanding, but all of it. James 1:5 says this:

"If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking."

God will give you the wisdom and understanding that you ask for. He is not holding out. He is offering it to you. But understand, wisdom and understanding, do not equal knowledge. God never promises you will know everything. But he does promise you wisdom. Overwhelming wisdom is yours. Just ask.

No comments: