Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Road Through Ephesus... Fused Ephesians 2:6

I love Saturdays.  I love sleeping in and just taking some time to relax and be refreshed.  I hate when Saturdays become super busy with a million and one things to do and places to run to.  I much prefer a Saturday with friends and family where I can let down my guard, share my heart, laugh, live, and be known.  It's truly a glorious thing.  But enough about how much I love Saturdays, for if I keep talking about how much I love Saturdays I shell spend my entire Saturday trying to blog and never have a chance to relax.

So let's jump in!

Ephesians 2:6

"For he raised us from the dead along with Christ and seated us with him in the heavenly realms because we are united with Christ Jesus."

Look at this verse.  Let it roll around in your mind for a few seconds, minutes, hours, days... After God himself gave us CPR, he seated us with Christ in heaven.  We are right next to him.  But perhaps even more cool than that is the next part of the verse: "...because we are united with Christ Jesus."  That part just gives me chills.  Seriously, I don't know that I have words to describe what that part of the verse does to my heart. And a big part of it has to do with one word: united.  I wanted to make sure I understood what this word meant so I looked it up on dictionary.com.  Here's a few of the definitions: made into or caused to act as a single entity, agreed, in harmony, to join, combine, or incorporate so as to form a single whole or unit, to be joined by or as if by adhesion.  And then perhaps my favorite synonym that pops us for the word unite: fuse.  


The thoughts those words conjure are breathtaking.  After God gave us mouth to mouth, we were united with Christ.  We were fused together.  We should act like a single entity.  We are joined by something stronger that super glue.  We are one with Christ.  That is what that word united means.  Our days of self are over.  From now on, we should think, act and be little Christ's.  We no longer continue with our own desires and thoughts, ambitions and plans.  We are fused.  Everything about us should scream to the world that we are united with Christ.  Everything about us should point to Jesus.


This has been one of my prayers this past week.  That as I live out my daily life among these high school students, my faith would be on my sleeve.  That everything I say and do would proclaim Jesus to these kids.  I want these kids to be able to tell from my life, my words, and the way I respond to others that I am fused to Christ.


What about you?  Can the world tell that you are bonded to Christ?  Do you wear your faith on your sleeve or is it something that people don't know for sure where you stand on?  Can people tell when they look at you that your life, your words, your actions, the way you respond to others are the same as what Jesus would do?  Because they should be able to do that.  For we are no longer free to pursue our own wills.  We were bought with a heavy price.  We are united with Christ.  We are one entity. And the world needs to see that.

No comments: