Monday, November 1, 2010

The Road Through Ephesus... Salvation Boasting Ephesians 2:9

I have a new computer!!  The repairs took so long that they decided to just give me a new one!  So hopefully now I'll get back in the habit of writing.  I have missed it, contrary to one might think by my lack of posts.  But anyways, I'm really excited to jump right back into this with you!  You have no  idea how much I love diving into Ephesians with you... it is sometimes the best part of my week... I get to spend some time with Jesus and all the lovely people out there who read this (who I don't even know, because apparently my blog is read internationally!  Who would of thunk?)

So, Ephesians.  Yay!  So excited!

Ephesians 2:9


"Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it."

I don't know about you, but this verse gives me so much hope.  I am so glad that my salvation is not dependent on what I do or don't do.  But how often do my actions reflect that truth?  Seriously, do I live my life like nothing I do can increase or decrease God's love for me?  Or do I still act like I can make God love me more?  Which in my head I know is rather ridiculous.  I mean, just look at this verse.  It lays out exactly what God thinks about that subject, yet, there are times, more often than not, that I do things to try and gain God's favor.  But you can't gain something you already have.

Which is why this verse is both life giving and convicting.  It's why my heart beats a little faster when I read it. Because it's not that I don't have to do anything to earn salvation, it's that I can't.  I can never be good enough, spiritual enough, or righteous enough to earn anything.   Look at how Isaiah says it, "...When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags...." (Isaiah 64:6b).  My righteous deeds mean nothing.  They are still dirty in God's sight.  But that's the amazing part. That's why we need a Savior.  That's why we need Jesus. Because he makes us righteous and holy.

And we can't boast about it, because we had nothing to do with it.  All we can boast about is Jesus, and what Jesus did for us on the cross.  Which, if you ask me, is something pretty amazing to be telling people.

1 Corinthians 1:31

"Therefore, as the Scriptures say, "If you want to boast, boast only about the Lord."

So this week, let's boast about Jesus.  About his amazing grace.  About his extravagant love.  About the beauty of his redemption.  About the glory of the cross.  Jesus is the only one worthy to be boasted about.

No comments: