Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Road Through Ephesus...Affected Hearts Ephesians 2:11

I'm back.  FYI it's really hard to get back into the habit of writing and I really need to because it relieves so much stress to just sit and write about what God is teaching me. So I'll try to do better, and if I don't you all can yell at me on here so I'll come back and write.

So, I'm really glad that you have stuck with me even through this time.  Let's jump back in together.

Ephesians 2:11

"Don't forget that you Gentiles used to be outsiders. You were called 'uncircumcised heathens' by the Jews, who were proud of their circumcision, even though it only affected their bodies and not their hearts."

I don't know if you all have ever been outsiders before, but it's not a lot of fun.  Which is why I am so thankful that God's gift of salvation is for everyone now.  And while we're never to forget that we were outsiders once, I think that we can all learn something from the Jews.  They were so proud to be part of God's chosen people, yet that knowledge didn't affect their hearts.  It didn't affect the way they lived their lives.

As Christians, how often does the knowledge of what God has done for us make us proud of the fact we're Christians, but we don't allow anything about it to shape our lives?  Our lives should be affected by the work God is doing in our lives. Knowledge isn't enough.  Too often just knowledge can lead to major problems.  If you don't act on that knowledge, you are worse off than someone who doesn't have that same knowledge.

I haven't told a lot of people this, but my best friend and I are memorizing the book of James together.  I'm finished with chapter one, but can I tell you the biggest fear I had going into this?  Simply that I would memorize all these words, but that's as far as they would go.  I was afraid that I would not allow them to change my life and the way I acted.  It's still a big fear.  How is my life going to change because of what I memorize?  How will I let it affect my life?  Just knowing what God says is not enough, you have to do it  You have to obey.  I have to obey. Seriously, go read James 1:22-25 (Yes, I'm giving you homework :-)

This week, this month, for the rest of our lives, let's let our knowledge of God, his commandments, and his words change the way we live.  Let's let it affect our hearts.  Let's be different than the Jews. It's time to let go of the pride and allow God's life changing words to truly do that, to truly change our lives.

No comments: