Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Road Through Ephesus... Loved and Chosen Ephesians 1:4

Can I tell you a secret? I've been waiting for three days to write about this next verse (and the verse after, but that will have to wait until tomorrow). Seriously, every time I read this verse my heart gets excited and I fall a little deeper in love with Jesus. So if you're wondering what today's verse is (which you really shouldn't be since I am going in order and yesterday was 1:3 so that makes today 1:4), here it is:

Ephesians 1:4

"Even before he made the world, God loved us and chose us in Christ to be holy and without fault in his eyes."

Just let that roll over you for a minute. Do you see how loved you are? Do you understand how passionate God is for you? But, alas, I am getting ahead of myself.

Let's start with that first phrase, "Even before he made the world,...". Before Genesis 1:1, before he spoke the world in motion, before this round ball was put into orbit, (look at the next part) God loved us. He hadn't even created us yet and he loved us. He hadn't created our ancestors or the place we would live but his heart was filled with love for us. Do you get that? The Creator of the Universe, God Almighty, LOVES you! It's not a new love. It's a love that has been burning forever.

And not only did he love us before he created the world, but he chose us. He picked you. He picked me. He knew what we would be, what we would do, how we would turn our backs on him, and he still chose us. He wanted us before we ever wanted him. Before we could ever want him. And he didn't just chose us randomly, he chose us with a purpose. So that when we are in Christ we are holy and without fault, blameless, in his eyes. He chose us for a relationship with his son, before his son even died for us. He knew what would happen.

God's plan for our redemption was put in motion before he created anything. That's how much he loves us.

Do you get it? Most of the time I don't. It takes this verse and others like it to remind me how much I'm loved. Too often I forget how God has expressed his love for me.

Let's live out the love that God has shown us.

No comments: