Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Road Through Ephesus... Wanted Ephesians 1:5

I almost didn't write tonight. I'm really tired and need to go to bed, but instead I'm sitting here at the computer because I have to dive into this verse. I love this verse! (OK so I love the whole book, deal with it).

Are you ready? Here you go:

Ephesians 1:5

"God decided in advance to adopt us into his own family by bringing us to himself through Jesus Christ. This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure."

So yesterday we talked about how God decided way before Genesis 1:1 to love us and that he had chosen us for a purpose. But he didn't just love us and choose us and leave us to fend for himself. No, he adopted us into his own family. By the way, I love the emphasis here. Do you see it? In that sentence the word "own" isn't really necessary. The sentence would still get the point across by saying "his family". In fact, putting that "own" in there is a little redundant. But I like it. I like it because it emphasizes that we belong to God's family. Now my family is pretty amazing, but nothing even comes close to belonging to God's family.

Then there's the whole implications of being adopted. Did you know that adoptive parents can't disown their adopted children? But this blog can only be so long and I really want to talk about something else.

That last part of the verse always gets me. Every time I read it, my heart beats a little faster. Here, read that last part again: "This is what he wanted to do, and it gave him great pleasure." Do you see it? He doesn't love us, choose us, or adopt us because he has to. He does all of that because he wants to. He desires to love us and demonstrate that love. He desires us.

And not only that, but it gives him immense pleasure to do that. Understand? You make God happy. You don't have to do anything. You bring him joy. You put a smile on his face. You make him laugh (pretty cool picture, huh?).

So understand this: You are loved, you are chosen, you are desired by God, and you make him supremely happy. Now it's up to us to live like it. God paid a great price to adopt us. He surrendered his only son to demonstrate his love for us. Don't forget that. It will change how you live.

No comments: