Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Just Do It.

So I just have to say that I love Bible Gateway.  I love being able to look up verses when I'm online and I can remember part of a verse I want to share but for the life of me can't remember the exact words because I've memorized in several different versions and they're all starting to run together into what I like to call "The Holly Standard Version".  I love pulling it up at work and leaving it there all day for encouragement.  I love taking a verse and looking at it in ten different versions.  It's awesome.  But what's even more awesome is that it's God's Word.

I also happen to love my actual paper and ink Bible too.  I'm kind of excited because it's starting to fall apart. And that means it's being used.  And that thrills my heart.

I was just going to type something that I realize is rather ridiculous.  I'll tell you what I was going to say and why it's ridiculous.

I was going to say how even though my Bible is starting to fall apart, I'm still not where I want to be.  I wish that the Bible was a higher priority for me.  I wish that I spent more time studying and reading and learning and diving deep into it.

And then I realized how ridiculous that sounds.

I wish!?!?


I don't want to just "wish" that this would happen.  That's sounds so passive.  It is so passive.  If I wish that it would happen then I need to put my money where my mouth is and go all Nike on it.  I need to just do it.


How often is that our response?  We wish something would happen, or we pray about something happening, when what God is really telling us is stop wishing, stop praying and DO IT! Sometimes we use prayer as an excuse.  Sometimes we know what God told us to do, we just keep praying hoping for a different answer.  And that's disobedience. Don't get me wrong: Prayer is essential to the life of a Christian, but oftentimes we utilize it as an excuse. We don't need to pray about what God has commanded us to do; we just need to do it.

So, this week, let's go all Nike on how we use our time.  Let's stop using praying and wishing as an excuse to not do what God has clearly commanded us to do.  Let's do it.


22 But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. 23 For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. 24 You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. 25 But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it.


James 1:22-25


1 comment:

Craig said...

And so it’s Sunday and I know you posted this on Wednesday. But I couldn’t stop reading the thank you’s from Monday. But I’m here now :)

I had to buy a new bible this year because mine literally fell apart – first it was just the maps. No big. Then it was Revelation – it was Scripture but I still thought “Well it is Revelation – and only the second half” (eeek sorry God) – but then it was a little more than that so I sprang for a new one. I miss the Bible which proved I read it – now I have one that’s all bright an shiny – and not broken in – or read a gazillion times. Oh well – it is spring.

And I will be all Nike with this week :)

Thank you, I really enjoyed reading this.