Monday, March 7, 2011

The Road Through Ephesus... Jesus Ephesians 2:20

After a rather stressful ending to last week (brand new car on the side of the road 5x's in the middle of nowhere Indiana), I'm back.  The weather is rather beautiful down here right now.  It's in the 40s and I love it.  I'd prefer 60s to 70s, but any increase over 35 is almost spring like.  It even smells like spring!  It really is coming!  Of course, they're predicting snow flurries sometime this week, but *hopefully* no accumulation.

So as winter starts to melt away, I thought we could get a little bit closer to finishing chapter two in Ephesians.  We are actually almost finished with chapter two!  Here we go!

Ephesians 2:20

"Together, we are his house, built on the foundation of the apostles and the prophets. And the cornerstone is Jesus Christ himself."

Word pictures.  I love them.  I love that Paul compares us to a house in this verse.  Now, I'll admit, I don't know really anything about building a house.  But I do know that if your foundation isn't good, your house is pretty much, well, worthless.  So when this says that we are Jesus' house and our foundation is the apostles and the prophets, our foundation is the teachings of Jesus and Jesus himself. Because that's what the apostle's and the prophet's taught: Jesus.

It serves as a reminder to be careful with who we listen to.  I know there's been a lot of controversy with one pastor lately about whether or not what he is teaching is contrary to the Word of God.  And while I might debate you on this issue (provided we're on opposing sides) until I'm blue in the face, I believe that God's Word is the final word.  And that his Word is what our foundation should be.  Human opinion really doesn't matter in the long run, but what God has to say about a topic matters greatly.

And then I got excited about the last part of this verse too.  "And the cornerstone is Jesus Christ himself." Yes, I went and looked up the word cornerstone.  Don't laugh.  You know I love words. :-)  And these are some of the definitions I found:

"Something that is essential, indispensable, or basic"
"A person or thing of prime importance..."
"Vital element"

And then some synonyms:

"anchor"
"base"
"essential"
"key element"
"pillar"

I love that third definition: "vital element".  Jesus is a vital element.  In reality, he is the element.  The cornerstone, from what I understand, is part of the foundation.  It's basis for the rest of the building.  It's the starting point.  Where everything is built off of.

Because when it really comes down to it, the main point, the only point, is Jesus.  Off of him, everything else is built.  So as we study scripture ourselves and learn from pastors, teachers, and others, let's remember to go back to Jesus.  Make sure that everything you are learning lines up with Jesus and who he is.

Jesus is what our faith is.


Thankfulness...


101. Growing up with Pastors who teach God's Word... and encourage me to check it out myself


102. Scripture to study


103. Friends to discuss difficult topics with


104. The vital element of faith: Jesus


105: Weekends in Michigan


106: Parent's letting me borrow their car while mine's in the shop


107: Spring is coming!!


108: Allergy meds... because spring is coming!!!!


109: Long hugs from my best friend.


110: Cuddling with my dad, because I was cold (or for any other reason)


No comments: