Thursday, February 17, 2011

Living like Jesus

1 John 2:6

"Those who say they live in God should live their lives as Jesus did."

Wow.  I read that and couldn't stop thinking about it.  If we say we live in God, which when we say we are united with him in Christ that's pretty much the same thing, we are to live like Jesus.

Now, I want to be doing that anyways but to see it spelled out like that in black and white makes it a little more urgent.  A little more like it needs to happen now.  I'll admit, some days are really good.  Some days are really bad.  But to live like Jesus did.  What does that look like?  Here's a few ideas.

1. It means loving without limits, without conditions. It means loving that kid in a couple of my student's classes that just drives me insane.  It means loving the people that have the tendency to make me slightly crazy. Simply because Jesus did.

2. It means serving without reserve.  It means holding a door open. Helping a few kids with their homework. It means washing dishes and wiping down tables.

3. It means praying without ceasing.  Jesus was in direct communication with his father the whole time he was here on earth.  How much more so do I need to be?  For the needs around me.  For the people God has placed in my life.  For my friends, aquaintences, co-workers, family, and people I've never met.  It means praying about the little and the big things.

4. It means obeying without hesitation.  Ouch.  That one hurts. Because I think we all really struggle with this one. Immediate obedience.  Obedience that stems from love, not fear. It means living life not just listening to the words of Jesus, but putting them into practice.

All of these require action.  None require passivity. All of these are areas I need to work on.  What about you?  Will you take these next steps with me and start living like Jesus lived?

No comments: