Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Road Through Ephesus... Members Ephesians 2:19

We had three school cancellations this last week.  And as much as I like sleeping in, cabin fever hits rather quickly at times.  By day three of no school I was more than ready to go back.  We were out of school more than in last week.  And of course the reason was the weather.  I can't wait for spring!

The funny thing is that even with three days off, I didn't get a ton done.  I got my hair cut and studied a little for the EIPA written test, but other than that I was fairly unproductive.

So in an effort to get back into being slightly productive, I thought we could dive back into Ephesians.

Ephesians 2:19

"So now you Gentiles are no longer foreigners and strangers.  You are citizens along with all God's holy people.  You are members of God's family."

I don't know if you've ever felt like you didn't quite belong.  I know I've been there.  If you can imagine it, I wasn't your "typical" high school student.  I wasn't a risk taker, I hated roller coasters, and I was fairly sheltered growing up.  I cared a lot about academics and got along better with adults than my peers.  All of this made me feel like I didn't necessarily fit the mold of "normal" (not that normal actually exists). I didn't know all the latest music trends (and frankly unless it was in Christian music, I didn't care) and I was pretty picky about the movies I saw.  All of that to say, I never quite felt like I "fit in" with that group.  Sure I had some friends, but there were other places I definitely fit better.

And maybe that's why I connect with this verse so much. I have somewhere that I "fit in".  I belong.  I'm home.  I'm a member.

There's power in having a group of people support you.

"A person standing alone can be attacked and defeated, but two can stand back to back and conquer. Three are even better, for a triple-braided cord is not easily broken."

We need people in our lives.  Belonging to God's family gives us that opportunity.

This week I want to challenge you (and me) to stop and take a look at the people God has put in your life to show you that you belong.  Take a look at the people that have your back.  Take some time and thank God that you are no longer a stranger, but that there are people who will stand with you to fight your battles.  And be that for someone this week.  Be someone who tells another person that you're there.  That they belong.  And that when they're too weak to fight, you'll fight for them.

Be who God created the church to be.

No comments: