Sunday, February 6, 2011

Mundane Everyday Life

I've been contemplating something recently.  I don't know that I've ever really thought about it before, at least in the scope of how I'm considering it now.  And this is what I've been thinking: God uses every moment, every experience. None are wasted. And while that may not seem like a big deal to you, just think about it. Every experience.  Not just the good, the bad, and the ugly, but the mundane, everyday, ordinary things we experience.  God uses them.  And it's amazing.

So as I'm working on learning Arabic with a friend, God will use that.  I don't know how.  Maybe he just wants me to learn perseverance or compassion for people learning another language. Maybe in the future I'll have a neighbor that speaks Arabic and I'll have a connection point for sharing Jesus.  I don't know how he will use it, I just know he will.

Every encounter I have with a student, every dinner I cook, every shopping trip I take, every conversation I have, every text message I send, God will use.

I love that he chooses to use the mundane as much as the outrageous.  I think it's incredible that the things I hate to do he'll use.  Scraping the frost/ice/snow off of my car in the morning, I don't know how he'll use that one.  Maybe to teach me to appreciate the warmer months, maybe to appreciate the fact that I have a car to transport me places.  I just know he'll use it.

As I look back on the short life that I have led up to this point, there are mundane everyday things that God has used already.  The decision to sign one song in a talent show before my senior year of high school.  The jobs I've had and the people I worked with and for.  I can't even explain all that God has done.  I just know he has and will continue to work.

So. When I become frustrated this week at the seemingly endless, mundane everyday life things, I will choose to remember that God doesn't waste an experience.  Through what I may think of as mundane, God will shape me and the people around me. And that makes those mundane things not so mundane doesn't it?

1 comment:

kaniemom said...

So true. What a blessing it is for you to know this at a young age. God will surely bless you.