Friday, May 6, 2011

Aware

I love getting my hair done.  Having someone else wash it and blow dry it is like heaven.  And then the scalp massage...it makes me relaxed just thinking about it.  That's what I did yesterday after school.  I feel like that was really the start of my weekend in some ways.  I got my hair done, went to my Bible study for game night, talked to someone special on the phone, got to wear jeans to work this morning because it's Friday, and was gone on a field trip all day long. It was wonderful. And I definitely almost fell asleep on the bus, apparently I'm still really relaxed.

We need days like that.  Days that are relaxing and fun.  Days where we stop thinking about all the bad news on TV and just enjoy the world God created. Those are the days that rejuvenate our spirits.

It struck me as I wrote that last sentence, that I don't remember the last time I just enjoyed God's creation.  Sure, every once in a while I'll see something that makes me go, "Wow, God." But rarely do I spend a chunk of time.  Rarely do I specifically set time aside to just take it in.  I'm not a super outdoorsy girl.  I happen to prefer hotels over tents any day.  But there is something to be said about just taking in God's creation.  Whether it's the people I work with everyday, or a smile on someone's face, a flower in bloom, or the fact that my new allergy medicine might be working, I want to be aware.  I want to live aware.  Aware of the life around me.  Aware of what God is doing in my heart and in the hearts of the people around me.

Aware. Seeing. Understanding. Reaching. Working where God has me. Serving those God brings into my life. That's living life aware.

"They know the truth about God because he has made it obvious to them.  For ever since the world was created, people have seen the earth and sky. Through everything God made, they can clearly see his invisible qualities-- his eternal power and divine nature. So they have no excuse for not knowing God."
Romans 1:19-20


No comments: