Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Road Through Ephesus... A Call To Holiness Ephesians 2:22

It's very warm and humid down here today.  Which isn't bad until I want to sleep and then I'll be miserable.  I don't like it cold and I don't like it sticky and hot.  I would like a happy medium please.  Well, I decided since I've been putting off writing about the last verse of Ephesians 2 that I should remedy that situation and get back to it.  I have just had a hard time coming up with what to write about this verse.  Part of me feels that I keep saying a lot of the same things over and over again, but I'm ready to possibly say the same thing again and jump back in.

Here we go:

Ephesians 2:22

"Through him you Gentiles are also being made part of this dwelling where God lives by his Spirit."

I don't know about you, but I think that's pretty exciting.  We who were once outcasts, who had no hope of a relationship with God, have become a part of the family of God and he lives in us by his Spirit.  How cool is that???  We were so far separated from him, but God made a way to get back to him and now he lives in us.

He chose us.  We've discussed that. But he didn't just choose us.  He lives in us.  He has made us his dwelling place.  The one who created the universe chose to live in us.  That's pretty amazing.

1 Corinthians 3:17 "For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple."

2 Corinthians 6:16 "For we are the temple of the living God."

I love that first one.  Because in it, we aren't only called to be holy, it says we are holy.  Because the God who loves you enough to die for you lives in you and gives you his holiness.  His holiness covers you.  It covers me.  It's incredible.  

Because if I think about it, there are many times when I don't feel holy.  There are many times when I don't choose the holy thing to do.  But God still calls me holy, because when he looks at me, he sees his holiness covering me.  Because he lives in me.

But even though his holiness covers me, that doesn't mean I can do whatever I want.  Because his holiness covers me, it pushes me to choose the right thing.  It pushes me to honor him.  It pushes me to love and obey him.

It's not always easy.  Okay, really, it's never easy.  But it's right.  His holiness calls us to a higher living.  

So this week, I want to strive for that. I want to strive to live holy.  Not because I have to, but because his holiness, his love, his Spirit living in me calls me to live a holy life.  

Will you join me?  Will you let him call you to a holy life?

No comments: