Sunday, May 8, 2011

Pleasing People

Today was an absolutely gorgeous day.  I love being able to have windows open and being able to be outside without a coat.  It makes me happy.  Even if it does mean that my allergy meds have to work overtime.  And it was a wonderful day to celebrate and honor moms, even if I spent my day far away from mine.

Church this morning was wonderful.  Something that caught my attention during the sermon was when he started talking about how we can't worry too much about what other people think about us. *Sigh* Apparently I needed to hear this yet again.  I really struggle with this.  I don't like conflict or people being upset or angry.  I like to make people happy.  And I get called a pushover which at times I am.  But it's a problem.  Because way too often I care more about what other people think of me instead of thinking and caring about what God thinks about me.

If I'm not careful, I can spend my life trying to please everyone around me, when instead I need to do what God has called me to do without excuse.  I need to focus on him and put on blinders for the rest of the world.  There is nothing wrong with enjoying putting a smile on another person's face, the problem is when I avoid the conflict that needs to happen or stray from doing what I know is right because of what people may think.

It's something I'm constantly working on and one of my favorite verses about this is Galatians 1:10:

"Obviously, I'm not trying to win the approval of people, but of God.  If pleasing people were my goal, I would not be Christ's servant."

My goal can't be to please people.  That cannot be what I am striving for.  I can't always make everyone around me happy.  But I can do what I know is right no matter what I think people may think about me.  I can strive to honor and bring glory to God through all my actions and words.

So I'm fighting the people pleaser within me.  It rears its head at the most inopportune times.  But with the power of Christ in me, it will be overcome. Because sin has been defeated and my savior won.

No comments: