Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Safe

I have a favorite spot to sit in to read.  It's true.  If you don't believe me, just ask my parents to show you pictures.  I have been sitting in the same place to read for years.  In my opinion it's the best place in the house to read.  It's in the living room, at the end of the couch closest to the lamp.  It's quiet, the light is good, and, well, I like corners.

That may sound odd, but I've been thinking about it lately.  If you give me a choice of where to sit, I'll choose the end of the couch so I can tuck myself into the corner.  Usually I'll curl up with my feet under me and a pillow on my lap.  I like things touching me.  Sitting in the middle of the couch is discomforting to me.  We have oversized chairs in our family room and when I'm home for the weekend, I'll squeeze in with my mom.  It's not because I like to be cramped.   But there is something about being small and having pillows and chair arms around that makes me feel rather safe. Protected even.

It's why, when my dad is sitting on the couch, I'll curl up next to him. It probably explains why I love to cuddle. It's why in the winter I'll sleep with four blankets, a comforter, and a sheet on top of me.  Someone suggested I get an electric blanket if I'm that cold, but that defeats the purpose. I like the weight.  I like feeling safe.

God does that for me.  He makes me feel safe.  He reminds me that I'm not alone.  He holds me.  And while I know that God asks me to do incredibly risky things, it's like doing them with the weight of my blankets, or in the corner of the couch.  I know he's there.  I can feel him holding me in the crook of his arm.

Like babies who sleep best when they are held close because they realize they are safe, I know I'm safe in my Father's arms.  That doesn't mean that my life will be easy, risk free, failure free, hurt free, or pain free. It simply means that I know who holds me. And I know his plan is for my good.  Whatever comes, he will still hold me.

Safe does not equal nothing bad ever happening to me.  It means that when bad stuff does happen, I still trust that my God is holding me in the palm of his hand.  It means that I still trust.  It means I still have a hope.  It means that my eternity is still safe and secure in him.

And that's what being safe means.

"I am not asking you to take them out of this world, but to keep them safe from the evil one." John 17:15 (Jesus praying for US!)

No comments: